Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test or TOEFL test is an internationally accepted entrance exam for English. Since it is a highly competitive entrance test, one needs to be prepared well in advance. It is also important to know how to score in Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test. Also, one should know the marking scheme of each section. If you want to receive official scores, you must attempt at least one question, each in the Reading and Listening sections, write at least one essay and complete at least one Speaking Task. The TOEFL IBT Test provides scores in four skill fields i.e. reading, listening, speaking and writing along with a total score. The minimum and maximum scores of the test are given below:
Reading 0 – 30
Listening 0 – 30
Speaking 0 – 30
Writing 0 – 30
Total Score 0 – 120 (it is the sum of the four skill scores)
TOEFL IBT test scores are valid for two years after the test dates. There is no limitation to the number of times you can take the test. There is no passing or failing TOEFL score, as each educational institution and agency sets its own scoring criteria. The official score records also includes performance feedback determined by the candidates’ tasks and performance level.
Methods of TOEFL IBT Test scoring
- ETS uses different methods for Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test scoring, which are given below:
- Human raters and automated scoring methods are used to examine the test scores. They can ensure a complete and accurate analysis about the candidates’ skills and abilities. However, the automated scoring method has been preferred over human raters for one of the two tasks in the writing section, since 2009.
- TOEFT IBT test is checked by trained and professional checkers. They have passed a certification test and they are continuously governed by ETS scoring leaders and checked each time they score a new question.
- TOEFL IBT test scores are carefully controlled from a secure central location. The raters score responses anonymously for truly objective scoring.
Getting the TOEFL IBT Test Scores
- There are different ways of getting your TOEFL IBT Test scores:
- The test scores will be posted in the official website of the TOEFL test within the two weeks of the test date. To see the test scores online, you have to log on to your TOEFL IBT account, enter the ETS ID received when you registered and then click on the ‘View Scores’ link.
- You can also see your test scores in universities or institutions, which you had selected during the registration.
- Printed score reports will be mailed to you within two weeks after your TOEFT IBT test date.
- You can also order additional score reports after your scores are available online.
Sending the TOEFL IBT Test Scores
- Your test fee consists of one examinee score for you and up to four official score reports, which ETS will send directly to institutions or agencies selected by you. ETS will give you TOEFL score record and send official score reports to your TOEFL destinations within two weeks after the test. However, your official TOEFL score report contains scores of all the four sections as well as your total score. The instructions for sending official score reports are given below:
- If you want to change or select where your official TOEFL score reports should be sent, you should log on to your TOEFL IBT account and click ‘View Orders’ on your home page. Remember that after two years, TOEFL scores are no longer valid.
- There is also a provision of sending official test scores by fax. For that, you have to fill the TOEFL iBT Official Score Report Request Form (PDF) and then fax it with your registration number and credit/debit card information to 1-610-290-8972.
- The official TOEFL IBT scores are also sent through online. For that, you need to log on to your TOEFL iBT account and then click ’Register for a Test/Order Score Reports’ on your home page. You can pay by credit/debit card or e-check.
- If you want to order official test scores through mail, you must obtain the print out of TOEFL iBT Official Score Report Request Form (PDF) and send it completely with your payment to:
P.O. Box 6153
Princeton, NJ 08541-6153 USA
- For online orders, the official scores are mailed within 4-7 business days after your request is received. For mail or fax orders, scores are mailed within two-weeks after your request is received.