Test of English as a Foreign Language, prominently known as TOEFL, is an international level entrance exam conducted for testing the proficiency of candidates in English language. The test is conducted in two modes - Internet Based Test (IBT) and Paper Based Test (PBT). It is very important to keep ready all the things, which are mandatory for the TOEFL IBT test day center. All the required documents should be with you while appearing for the test. These may include the registration confirmation, acceptable and valid identification documents. Apart from that, it is equally important to know what instructions you have to follow before the test, during the test as well as after the test. In this article, you will find various tips about what to bring on the TOEFL IBT test day.
What to bring on test day
Before appearing for TOEFL IBT test, you must bring two things to the test center:
- Registration Confirmation: You should have your registration number and the test site information given to you on the time of registration. You should read and print your Registration Confirmation the day before the test and bring it with you on the test day. Any changes made at the test site (like the start time) will be updated for you.
- Valid Identification (ID): You have to bring an official ID document that mentions your name, signature and recent photo. You should make sure the name and surname should be the same as you had given while registration.
TOEFL Test Preparation Tips
Here are some tips to prepare before the test, during the test and after the test.
Before the test
- Try to reach at the test center minimum 30 minutes before your TOEFL IBT test time because if you come late, you may not be privileged to appear for the test.
- At the room, your photo will be taken and placed at your assigned seat, which will also appear on your score report.
- You will be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- ID documents are the only personal items that you are allowed to bring to the test center. The ID verification may include thumb impression, signature comparison or other modes of electronic ID confirmation.
- You are not allowed to change any schedule at the test center.
- Your seat will be confirmed by the test administrator.
During the test
- No candidate will be allowed to continue beyond the time limit, which is about 4 1/2 hours.
- The computer is officially the timekeeper, so watch your speed for each section.
- In case you need any kind of help, you can simply raise your hand. There is a mandatory ten minutes break midway through the TOEFL IBT test.
- You will be provided scrap paper and a pencil, which must be returned at the end of the test.
- If you are feeling unwell, you must request accommodations in advance.
After the test
- Your official test scores will be posted online, within two weeks after the TOEFL IBT test date.
- You can view your scores online by logging on to your TOEFL IBT test account and selecting "View Scores" on your home page.
- Your scores are also mailed to you and the universities or institutions that you have selected, within two weeks of the test date.
- If you are not satisfied with this attempt of TOEFL IBT Test, you can reappear for the test to improve your scores.