International English Language Testing System, also known as IELTS, is a test which analyzes English proficiency of the candidates. The test is a world's proven test for English language. IELTS is available in two testing formats - Academic and General Training. General Training Module is for those candidates who are desirous to pursue secondary education or to gain work experience from any English speaking country. In order to prepare well and qualify the test easily, candidates must have the knowledge about the test content. Details about the test content of General Training Module of IELTS are given below.
Test Pattern & Structure for IELTS General Training Test
General Training Reading
- The General Training Reading test is an hour long test.
- The test is divided into three sections.
- The question paper consists of 40 questions.
General Training Writing
- Duration of the General Training Writing test is 60 minutes.
- The test has two tasks, each of 150 words and 250 words.
- Task I must be completed in 20 minutes duration in 150 words.
- Task I tests the candidate's ability of writing professional letters in the appropriate format. The letter must include all the major and important points.
- Task II must be done in 250 words in time duration of 40 minutes.
- Task II tests the candidate’s ability of writing on any topic and justifying his/her answer by quoting relevant examples from their own knowledge or experience.
- The Speaking test is an interactive test.
- Candidates have a discussion with a certified examiner.
- Duration of the Speaking test is 11 to 14 minutes.
- The test has three parts.
- Part I includes questions about candidate's family and candidate himself/herself.
- Part II is about speaking on a topic given by the examiner. Candidates have to speak for one or two minutes on the topic. Candidates have one minute to think about what to say or speak.
- Part III includes a long discussion on any topic.
- The Listening test is divided into four sections.
- The test consists of 40 items.
- Duration of the test is 30 minutes.